I had a sub today. A sub that came one and a half hours late so I could show up one hour late to a three hour PD that was worth about 15 seconds of my time. (on the plus side, I graded papers straight through the PD and actually got a lot of work done in the afternoon)
Meanwhile, in room 309...
My children were hooligans. By hooligans I mean out of their seat, not doing their work, yelling and screaming and (wait for it...) standing on desks, dancing, and jumping off HOOLIGANS. Which actually makes me laugh. Not in a happy way, but because my brain immediately responded to this with "well, at least they don't do THAT for you". Victory is mine. I walked into the room, said nothing, and the hooligans shut their mouths, stopped running around, and immediately returned to their desks. That, my friends, is a small victory.
I would, however, like to take a moment to rant. There are so many things I would like to rant about that it is hard to choose one, but choose I must, and choose I will. I hate that there is no community in my school. I feel like the teachers try (to come extent) to create one, but that the administration really does not support those efforts, and that without that community, the school is a lost cause. How can you support students fully when the staff is not being supported? How can there be growth across grade levels when there is no communication?
Any suggestions?
3 comments:
Congratulations on your victory, Michelle! It is no small thing, you know...
Proving once again that children will rise to the level of your expectations, so set them where you'd like to see them.
Also remember that this sort of thing is their first "education" (of course, we should learn these things in the home environment beginning at, oh, sixteen months old or so...) but education nonetheless, and then you can build on it with the Love of Learning thing...
Hang in there, and be blessed today!
--mama K.
Community is so important... have your teachers expressed this to the admin? This can be hard, and at times an up hill battle. I would talk to the other teachers about this.... brainstorm some possibilites and then take it to the admin. All they can do is say no.
However, continue to work on your classroom community. It is contagious. When other students and educators see what is going on in your room and what you are creating... it rubs off.
Sometimes getting a sub is worthless... my class, as much as I love em, can be a pain when I am gone. However, that is a HUGE step when they aren't that way for you. Take it and run with it! It sounds like a good topic for the start of a community meeting in your class~
Wow! That's some story. Glad to hear that the kids don't do those things for you, though. Too bad about the sub...
Post a Comment