I am a lucky, lucky Lou!
It was a rough day today... a rough day that seemed all the more rough after yesterday. It seems that in the glory of a fall break (hooray for year round schools!), my students have forgotten how to act like students instead of hooligans.
Aah, the things that I have already learned this year. It seems so easy to underestimate the importance of establishing and practicing routines-- for those of us who have grown up in routine oriented households with clear expectations and consequences, these things are second nature, not something to be learned. It becomes more and more clear every day that everything I do must be based on explicit instruction. Most, if not all of my students have had few consequences, and the consequences that they have experienced are far from consistent. Most have never been taught to take responsibility for their own actions (e.g. "He was talking too." or "I wasn't talking" or "Man, why you always picking on me" or my favorite, which I got to hear today- "Man, you bogus, Ms. K.")
I am bogus. I expect them to learn. I must do my best to remember that in many ways, I am parent first, teacher second.
But that was not my point.
In our Monday staff meeting (have I mentioned that I hate morning staff meetings? I guard my mornings preciously), we were informed that three of our staff members were needed to "volunteer" for after hours writing PD. "Hmmm," I thought "after school (no need to leave my students with a sub- hooray), paid professional development, writing instruction, the chance to be a better teacher... what can I lose?" I jumped. I guess it wasn't really much of a jump, since no one else was volunteering, but I volunteered.
And I am so glad I did.
Turns out, what I unknowingly volunteered myself for was to become a "model classroom" for the writer's workshop approach. Many of you are familiar with this methodology, but it is pretty much uncharted territory for me. In being a "model classroom", I agree to attend two and a half hours of paid PD once a month from now until August. In this PD, I will be trained and given the opportunity to reflect and respond to the Lucy Calkins approach to WWS. In addition to the 2.5 hours after school, I am also expected to share my growing knowledge with the other teachers in my classroom a minimum of one time per quarter. In exchange for these two "sacrifices", I receive training that will help me be a better teacher, pay for my time, and the complete set of Lucy Calkins middle grades writers workshop books FREE!
OOOOOh that makes me happy! I feel so energized by the information I gained today! I can't wait to get my WNB, read up on the sessions, and get my kiddos making lists and writing! I am only a little nervous about the response from my administration-- So far this year, the focus has been clearly limited to teaching to the test.
*warning- sarcasm ahead* As we are on probation, there is only time for reading and math, and even that is very directed for me (but more on that another day-- it makes me feel negative, and I'm currently enjoying floating in the clouds)...
How I miss the days with Mr. B, where my teaching and creativity were encouraged and developed. (credit where credit is due). I'll work it in. I truly believe that quality instruction creates quality results. That I KNOW I can do.
Let the quality instruction begin.
2 comments:
OMG!!! Take this opportunity and RUN GIRL RUN!!! You will LOVE IT! My life as an educator has changed because of the workshop approach. I love my students and let me tell you I have some real "sweethearts"!
I could go on and on....it is fantabulous- Someone to go to for serious questions would be Stacey at Two Writing Teachers. She had Lucy as a teacher! Ruth is also apart of that blog.... they are GREAT MENTORS. They have taught me so much!
I can't wait to hear what you are learning, Please keep me posted! YOU GO GIRL!
Michelle,
Thanks for inviting me to your blog!
Keep encouraged, sweetie. You may not "catch" all of your students, but you will catch "some," and those will be the jewels in your crown.
Your students don't know how blessed they are, girl...
barbie
Post a Comment