My life has always been education. It runs deep in my veins. My mom is a teacher. My dad is a teacher. My step-mom is a teacher. My step-dad is a teacher. I am a teacher. I long expected teaching to take over my life-- it's almost as if I have no choice-- I have never wanted to be anything else, and despite my difficulties this year, I am not happy doing anything else.
But I never, I repeat, NEVER, gave education permission to take over my apartment. There are teacher's editions on my dining room table, discipline books on my coffee table, supplemental materials on my study floor, lesson plans on my desk, school dates on my calendar, ungraded papers on my bedroom floor, and versa-tiles mixed in with my scrabble and boggle games.
I have come the decision that I need a school office. With a door. A door that shuts and locks. A door that can contain the multitude of THINGS that come along with being a teacher. I am thinking of buying next year (a grown-up step), and I have decided that an office with a door is an non-negotiable.
I know I can not block out the thoughts that come pouring out without cease-- discipline plans while I eat, science activities while I shower, math enrichment ideas while I put cream cheese on my bagel, but at least, at LEAST (hopefully) I can keep all the crap in one room and shut the door.
4 comments:
I cannot think of any other profession that is quite as all-consuming as teaching.
During the year, I have a semi-organized pile of educational material laying around, however, summer it is a sad situation. I need just an office for my teaching junk! I think that should be part of the deal, a free desk and organizational material to go with everything!
Are you waking in the middle of the night to write things down yet? Don't worry, that will come, keep a notebook by the bed so that you can jot it down.
The "stuff" you collect, yea, I have no pointers for that. You need an office, closet, something just for your needs.
Good luck!
did it work? do you close the door? keep it in the red room?
Post a Comment