Do you remember learning how to multiply?
I don't. It feels like one of those things I have always known how to do, like counting, instead of one of those things I have a specific memory of learning, like folding a bottom sheet. I had forgotten how many landmines are involved with the tricky concept of multiplying double digits by single digits (especially if you don't know your basic multiplication facts)- you might write the ones and carry the tens, or forget to add what you carried, or some other nonsense.
Like most teachers, I think incessantly about my students. It's like they have a secret compartment in the back of my head, and they are apt to spring from it like jack-in-the-boxes. I was driving home on Tuesday, listening to oldies, when I heard the rousing *stomp, stomp, clap* of Queen's We Will Rock You. MOMENT!!
Flash forward to my classroom on Wednesday, when I introduced my students to our new song, designed to help them master their multiplication. (See below). Amazing fact #1- my students can clap, stomp, sing, and learn at the same time. Amazing fact #2- 85% of them passed their multiplication test this Friday for the first time. If I had any idea how to copywrite and publish this, I would, but I don't think I can, so instead I will share it in this forum, with the three of you who read this, and welcome you to use it, and use it well. The kids LOVE it!
We will multiply ("tune" of We Will Rock You)- you can substitute any example. This uses 53 x 7 = 371
We will, we will multiply. We will, we will multiply.
First you take the bottom number, multiply the ones.
Write down your ones and carry your tens.
Then you take the bottom number, multiply the tens.
Add what you carries and write it down!
Sing it!
We will, we will multiply. We will, we will multiply.
We will, we will multiply. We will, we will multiply.
First you take the seven, multiply by three.
Write down the one and carry the two.
Then you take the seven, multiply by five.
Add the two and write thirty seven.
Sing it!
We will, we will multiply. We will, we will multiply.
I hope to one day hear this sung in schools all over the U.S. It will make me smile. It made my students smile. Which always makes me smile.
1 comment:
Great song, Ms. Keim! I hope to hear it sung all over the U.S. too - with your name on it!
Post a Comment